Victoria Azarenka had a lot to endure in the past couple of days: she was overcome by nerves and blew five match points in her semifinal match against teen sensation Sloane Stephens. Criticasters booed her for that but Azarenka would like to use the Australian Open finale to shush the naysayers and gain back some of that goodwill.
That 10-minute timeout, which the World No. 1 took during the 5-4 changeover right after she lost her serve, was necessitated by an apparent rib injury. Vika denies that she took a medical timeout to get an extra break to recover from the match. (Was Azarenka right in taking the medical timeout at 5-4 for nerves? Tell us!)
Azarenka told the press that it wasn’t nice to read and hear the criticism revolving her timeout but added that there are sometimes things that we don’t have control over and that the best you can do is learn from it. Azarenka further added that the most important thing for her is to put up a great finale versus Li Na.
Stats: Azarenka and Li have played each other 9 times so far in their careers. And head-to-head is 5-4 in Vika’s favor. Azarenka has won the last four encounters.
You may also like:
- under armour’s first global marketing campaign will feature sloane stephens, among others
- li na in nike women’s 2013 looks
- australian gothic: wilson fetes vika azarenka’s australian open win
- fashion focus: novak djokovic wears audemars piguet watch in australia
- victoria azarenka wins the Qatar Total Open, gets serenaded by boyfriend