fashion focus: nike digs into adidas archives for maria’s wimbledon kit

Maria Sharapova recently confirmed that she’ll mix up her Grand Slam outfits at this year’s Wimbledon by wearing shorts; she has so far only worn dresses to these big events.

The sleeveless pleated tuxedo top and the tailored shorts are perfect for the most formal of the Grand Slams, but we’re a little disappointed that this looks like Maria Kirilenko‘s 2007 outfit: the tuxedo shirt dress from adidas by Stella McCartney.

What do you think of Sharapova’s kit?

(images via prodirecttennis.com)

RELATED POSTS
>> TSF’s wimbledon coverage

Comments

1. b says

yes it’s copied from kiri….. so is the shorts idea if the shorts aren’t too snug…. and if top is not too short… then it should look fine –

i like what we can see in this photo

i did see a shot of an entire pants suit that she plans to wear on court and (at first glace) it looked *really nice*…. from neck downwards — she has chosen to adopt a horrible facial expression in recent photos – looks like she is constipated and smelled something horrid…

hope the trousers do not end up on backwards a la federer

2. lu says

I don’t know about the shorts, need a pic of her wearing them… I do like the idea of shorts, though, I’m so fed up with having to see girls hot pants all the time. disgracious LOL

Concerning the top, I think it’s really not nice with her shoulders.

3. Mariam says

Thanks for the link above, I had a look at the outfit….and I dont like it! Its very disapointing to think that Nike has become sloppy or lazy by copying some elements of last years addidas by stella mccartney! :(
    Hopefully they will redeem themselves with a good us open outfit!

4. love40mp says

Maria looks a lot better in dresses. And what’s with that warmup out fit? It looks like she’s ready to hit the bed. Don’t like it. I do like the pleats on top.

I thought the outfit looked great on the court today. I haven’t been a fan of the frilly dresses in the past. This outfit gave a little flirt (sheer top) but the fitted bodice and tailored shorts were a classic look. Copied or not, I liked it; when you are going for classic lines, it is hard to be completely original! I am not, however, I do not care for the warm-up outfit- just a little much for me!

7. b says

just saw photos – the top she played in was (unfortunately) slightly different from the one above and did not fit well and did not suit her shoulders…. so easy for nike to cut fabric for her shape and they just won’t do it….. the disgram shown does not take into account her shoulders
    liked the sheer back, though

the shorts fit well after all

now, from what i can see of the warm up jacket it was quite nice… so glad she did not walk on in pants

roger looks ridiculous… both of the ladies outsdressed him by miles