The case of the mystery tennis dress Nike designed for Maria Sharapova‘s Australian Open appearance was solved today when Maria played first round match against Croatian Jelena Kostanic Tosic. By the way, the scoreline: Masha wins 6-4, 6-3.
Wimbledon flashback? So Maria takes care of business with a white version (reminiscent of what adidas by Stella McCartney put on Maria Kirilenko for Wimbledon ’07). The pleats and other detailing keep it classy, and it’s offset by the youthful embroidery in the visor and the berry accents in the visor. Even Maria’s underwear (picture) channeled Tati‘s red knickers. FYI: Berry is a shade from Nike’s spring palette.
What do you think of Masha’s dress? Tell us!
By the way… We speculated, based on Nike’s Spring 2008 retail plan, that brown pleated wonder would be the outfit (after all, it was called the “Sharapova Dress”), but then it showed up on Dani Hantuchova at last week’s Sydney Medibank International.
Of course Masha wouldn’t be caught dead wearing the same dress as anyone else. That, and the fabrics ended up with sweat patterns that were ultra-unflattering. I hope Dani finds something else for the next two weeks.
(photos by Getty Images)
>> TSF’s australian open coverage
You may also like:
- nike+ fuelband campaign highlights ping pong in #makeitcount campaign
- fashion focus: sharapova wears david koma for sugarpova accessories launch
- li na in nike women’s 2013 looks
- for its first birthday, sharapova’s sugarpova launches accessories line
- the female HOATs of all time: a fine list of tennis girls to ogle